Book Restoration Workshop
May 3, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
One event on May 4, 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on September 11, 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on March 5, 2022 at 9:00 am
One event on May 3, 2022 at 9:00 am
One event on September 10, 2022 at 9:00 am
Participants will be taught basic book repair techniques, and in the process learn about the book’s components and traditional hand bookbinding methods. They will dissect a book and reassemble it. Participants will deconstruct the book by detaching the covers and spine; removing the sewing; and disassembling the text. They will then reconstruct their book by performing page repair; resewing the text; and rehinging the covers and spine.
The book along with all additional materials are included, and tools will be provided. Participants may bring their own book if they first get pre-approval.**
Cost per Person*: $100/Adult
Class size is limited to 4 people. Participants must be over the age of 18.
Length of Class: Typical class lasts about 6 hrs
Lunch: We invite participants to bring a lunch to eat during the workshop. We have a refrigerator available if needed.
Please review the Workshop Cancellation Policy before registering.
Workshops Reopening with Health Precautions
Now that Chester County has moved into the Green Phase of Pennsylvania’s Reopening, Historic Sugartown is delighted to once again offer in-person Book Bindery workshops starting Saturday, July 25th. Because of necessary COVID-19 safety precautions, the number of participants will be limited to maintain proper social distancing. Tickets must be purchased online in advance.
- Workshops are limited to 4 persons maximum to allow for social distancing.
- For everyone’s safety, all participants and instructors are required to wear a mask throughout the workshop. Anyone refusing to wear a mask will not be allowed to join the workshop and will be offered a refund.
- All participants must abide by social distancing procedures.
- Separate materials and tools will be provided to avoid unnecessary contact between participants.
- For the safety of our visitors and staff, any participant with visible signs of sickness (cough, etc.) will not be allowed to join the tour and will be given a refund. Please stay home if you are sick.
- Certain spaces may be inaccessible to ensure proper social distancing.