The Carriage Museum

Campli 0112

The Carriage Museum

When Historic Sugartown purchased the General Store property, this stone structure, which once served as a workshop for the John family, was in ruins – the result of a fire. The Malvern Fire Company constructed and maintained a satellite station on the shop’s ruin from 1995 – 2009. In 2010, Historic Sugartown partnered with Chester County Historical Society to create a Carriage Museum in the building. Collection highlights include a c. 1800 Conestoga wagon used to haul freight from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and a hearse used by undertaker George L. Mason of Guthriesville in the 1870s.